Kilimanjaro Shira Route Overview
Beginning near Shira Ridge it is a little used trail. The high altitude at its starting point has made it less favorable. The uniqueness of it is that, in this route the first section of the trail is not hiked rather driven. As a result the climbers miss out the hiking up one of Kilimanjaro biological zones, the tropical rain forest. An off-road vehicle transports climbers to the Shira gate, where the climb begins to Simba camp. This is a substantial altitude gain for someone who slept at Moshi or Arusha on their previous night. Complicantions from altitude can occur due to failed acclimatization.
The route takes six days minimum to complete, though seven days is acclaimed. The descent is down Mweka, in the southeast. Because the starting point is far from Moshi and Arusha, it is more expensive to climb this route due the added transportation cost of getting climbers to the gate.
While trekking through the Shira Plateau, the landscape displays some of the most spectacular views and then before joining with the Machame route. After that it shares the spectaculars of the southern circuit. The low traffic and great scenic vistas make this route a great choice for the adventure seekers.
- Day 1: Kilimanjaro International Airport to Moshi
- Day 2: Moshi to Moramu Hill to Shira 1 Camp
- Day 3: Shira 1 Camp to Shira 2 Camp
- Day 4: Shira 2 Camp to Moir Camp
- Day 5: Moir Hut to Lava Tower Camp
- Day 6: Lava Tower Camp to Barranco Camp to Karanga Camp
- Day 7: Karanga Camp to Barafu Camp
- Day 8: Barafu Camp to Uhuru Peak (Summit) to Mweka Camp
- Day 9: Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate to Moshi
- Day10: Departure to Kilimanjaro International Airport
Day 1: Kilimanjaro International Airport to Moshi
Upon arrival at Kilimanjaro International Airport, our driver will be there to meet up with you and transfer to Moshi town for overnight.
Day 2: Moshi to Moramu Hill to Shira 1 Camp
After breakfast from your lodge, depart to Londorossi gate a starting point to your trek to Mount Kilimanjaro. Upon arrival at the gate, you will proceed with registration formalities, followed by having lunch at the gate since will arrive in the mid afternoon. After that, you will have a short drive inside the park to the point known as Moramu Hill where you will set off by foot toward Shira 1 Camp the place where you are expected to spend your first night on the mountain. The walk itself will cover a distance of about 4km which equals two 2 hours and rise up to an altitude of 3360 meters from 2240 meters above sea level.
Day 3: Shira 1 Camp to Shira 2 Camp
Today we follow a relaxed path to the summit of Shira Cathedral before attainment the next camp at Shira Hut. As this camp is quite bare, it can be considerably colder than the prior night, with temperatures dropping to well below freezing.
Day 4: Shira 2 Camp to Moir Camp
Today, you will climb to an altitude of 4180 meters, and you are expected to spend two good hours of the walk until you reach the camp. The route today will take you to the south-eastern side of the Mountain where from there you will have the breathtaking view of savannah desert as you continue to climb toward Moir Camp situated at an alpine zone. Upon arrival at the camp, you will have time to relax and acclimatize by walk to the summit of Lent Hill which is situated at an altitude of 4650 meters, in order for your body to cope with the change in attitudes as you continue to go up.
Day 5: Moir Hut to Lava Tower Camp
Today’s, walk will take you on a gentle ascent and panoramic views. Then you traverse to the southwest side of Kilimanjaro, passing underneath the Lava Tower and the final section of the Western Breach and after hot lunch the bottom of the Lava Tower at an altitude of 4,600 meters, you then descend to the bottom of the Great Barranco valley at an altitude of 3,900 meters. You will cover the total distance of 5 kilometers that will take you approximately 3 hours to complete the entire section. In the afternoon you will have a chance to acclimatize again by a walk to Arrow Glacier that will take you 2 hours. After a long of walk you will arrive at the camp late in the evening in time for your dinner and overnight.
Day 6: Lava Tower Camp to Barranco Camp to Karanga Camp
Today after breakfast, you will depart from Lava Tower Camp and set off to Karanga Camp where you will spend your overnight via Barranco Camp. Expect to cover about 7 kilometers that will take you up to 7 hours of good walking. At the beginning, the walk will be a bit tough and challenging as you will have to climb up near the free stand wall also known as Barranco Wall also referred to as “Breakfast Wall” since you will start climbing it soon after having breakfast. But when manage to reach the top, you will enjoy the magnificent and one of the kind view of the Heim Glacier, and after a bit of rest you will descend to the gully below into Karanga Valley which is very cold, before proceed to a zigzag climb that will finally take you to Karanga Camp where you will spend your night and dinner.
Day 7: Karanga Camp to Barafu Camp
Today you will ascend about 500 meters, and covers the total distance of 5 km of walk and expect to spend 4 hours before reaching the Barafu Camp in time for your hot lunch in the afternoon and overnight. The trail today will take you through climbs that will require a steady walk, as you will path through the rocky and barren landscape, during the walk you will enjoy beautiful scenery of Decker and Kersten glaciers that will be visible from a distance. Upon arrival at the camp, you will be required to go to bed a bit early in order for your body to have enough rest and prepare for the summit day the next day as you will be required to work up very early in the morning.
Day 8: Barafu Camp to Uhuru Peak (Summit) to Mweka Camp
Wake up beforehand midnight in the shelter of darkness and begin a steep climb over loose volcanic scree that has some well-graded zigzags and a slow but steady pace will take you to the rim of the main crater, Stella Point, at 5,735 meters. You will rest there for few minutes to relish the sunrise over Mawenzi. Those who are still feeling good can continue slowly to make the two hours round trip from here along the crater rim to main Uhuru Peak 5,895 meters, which is the highest point in Africa. After a few minutes to celebrate and enjoy your accomplishment by taking pictures with the guide and friends, you will then descend to Barafu camp fast, and followed a stop at Barafu Camp for some refreshment, before set off again and continue to descend to reach Mweka Camp for your dinner and overnight.
Day 9: Mweka Camp to Mweka Gate to Moshi
A gentle walk takes us down from Mweka Camp at an altitude of 3730 meters and descends through the rainforest to Mweka gate to an altitude of 1660 meters, where successful climbers will receive their summit certificates. The walk itself will take about 6 hours and covering approximately 13 km. Upon your arrival at the gate, you will have lunch and after that you will be transferred back to Moshi to your lodge for dinner and overnight.
Day10: Departure to Kilimanjaro International Airport
After having a long night rest at the lodge, you may wish to extend your stay at the lodge, but if not our driver will be ready to pick you up and transfer to the Kilimanjaro International Airport to connect with your flight back home.
Proper equipment is real extremely important to the success, comfort and safety of your trip.
Recommended clothing has four features;
Manages moisture – Wicks perspiration from your skin, use for the base layers.
Should be a durable – comfortable, insulating, breathable, soft fabrics are polarity wind, Gore-Tex wind stopper.
Windproof – waterproof and breathable like Gore-Tex or similar (outer layers)
Insulating material – should be down fill or synthetic-fill and fit cover all layers like, down, prim aloft and polar guard.
3-4 season sleeping bag and silk liner(optional), on the mountain temperature can get down to zero degrees Fahrenheit (-18° C) at night, so bring a warm bag.
Sleeping pad, a closed cell form camping mattress is OK; an inflatable Thermo-Rest is more comfortable.
For the head and face:
- Pile or a wool hat-Bring one that covers ears, a balaclava
- Shade hat or cap and scarf to cover your neck
- Dark sunglasses with strong UV protection (glacier glasses)
- Sunscreen-30 SPF
- Lip salve
- Head torch(flashlight) with spare batteries
For the upper body:
- T-shirts-Synthetics are the best approx 4.
- Upper body layers-long sleeved thermal tops, a fleece/warm jumper (thick winter fleece) and a pile jacket.
- Rain gear-Bring a good of Gore-tax or waterproof clothes.
- Wind stopper (optional you can use rain gear)
- Gloves for summit night (e.g. ski gloves with silk liner or down Mittens are ideal)
- 25-35 liters day sack/rucksack with good waist strap to carry water, camera, snacks etc.
For the legs:
- Quick dry hiking short.
- Long underwear bottoms
- Warm trousers/for the evening and summit day
- Rain paints and wind paint as well.
- Undergarment (enough for duration of the trek)
For the feet:
- Thin socks-Three pair of synthetic socks.
- Thick socks-3/4 pairs of specialist trekking socks, one warm pair for summit day.
- Hiking boot (one pair medium weight)
- Gaiters-To keep dirt, scree and snow out of your boots.
- Tennis shoes (to wear in the camp after a day of hiking)
- Water bottles(minimum 2 liters) Camel back packs(with dust cup) Nalgene bottles, aluminum Sigg, Ideally one bottle should be able to contain hot liquids(optional)
- Water treatment-Bring a water treatment. We will filtrate the water before you use.
- Water flavoring (optional)
- Trekking poles
- Camera/film or memory card, extra batteries
- Casual clothes for traveling, spare day and celebration dinner.
- Isotonic drink powder or tablets (optional)
- Energy bars/chocolate/nuts or energy tablets
- Plastic bags (to protect clothes from rain, for dirty washing, etc)
- Sunglasses (spare)
- Swiss army knife (optional)
- Credit card (in case of emergencies) – let your credit card company know you are traveling to Tanzania
- Money belt to be worn inside trousers or skirt
- If you wear contact lenses it is advisable to also bring your glasses
- Playing cards, reading material etc.
Health and Hygiene
- High-factor sun cream (30SPF) and lip salve (mountain sun can be very strong)
- Wet wipes
- Antibacterial hand gel
- Biodegradable nappy sacks (optional, but useful to store rubbish)
- Personal toiletries (please only bring biodegradable products)
- Earplugs (in case of snorers!)
- Toilet paper (will be provided)
- Lightweight trekking towel
- Vaseline/talcum powder
Small Medical Kit
Although you will have a team Medically Trained Guide in your trip, it is advisable bring along a small personal medical kit.
- Dimox (Accetomalozide) for altitude adjustment
Dexemethasone (Emergence medicine)
- Antiseptic cream
- Plasters (band-aids)
- Lint wound dressing
- Knee support
- Crepe bandage
- Safety pins
- Pain killers (Paracetamol and ibuprofen)
- Insect repellent
- Deep heat ointment
- Diareze/Imodium, Cipro and Pepto-Bismol
- Oral rehydration salts
- Compeed blister plasters (Moleskin)
- Malaria tablets /Malaron
Note: Malaron, Dimox and Dexamethasone are prescription medicine we highly recommending you to discuss with your Doctor. We are not carrying this medicine in our First Aid Kit.
Hiring any additional clothing upon booking we will provide equipment hiring price list, upon arrival in Moshi we will check over any clothing/equipment you have.
COTTON clothing must be avoided, because its dries very slowly, choose wool or synthetic fabrics that wicks the sweat and moisture from your skin.
Mountain medication (A few drugs that help AMS)
Note: Malaron and Dimox are prescription medicine we highly recommending you to discuss with your Doctor. We are not carrying this medicine in our First Aid Kit
The price per person for group expeditions are fixed based on a group size. However, we have optional arrangements for individual private and tailor-made preferences best suited for you, your family and friends.
Group Booking Prices
|1||SOLO (1) Person||US$ 2,728|
|2||2 Peoples||US$ 2,144|
|3||3 Peoples||US$ 2,045|
|4||4 - 5 Peoples||US$ 1,931|
|5||6 - 8 Peoples||US$ 1,874|
|6||9 - 10 Peoples||US$ 1,817|
ARE YOU INTERESTED ?
Inquiry this Trekking Package